Classification: Environmental Health Sanitarian Level I or II
AFSCME Position, Non-exempt, FULL TIME (35 Hours per week)
The qualifications listed below are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job-related selection or promotional criteria. This list may not be inclusive of the total scope of job functions to be performed. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or modified at any time.
- Conducts onsite sanitary surveys and issues construction permits for Type II public water supplies.
- Conducts onsite evaluations to assess soil and site conditions relative to onsite sewage disposal.
- Issues permits for sewage disposal systems and onsite water supplies and conducts inspections to assure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Inspects and advises food service establishments to ensure Regulatory Minimum Program Requirements met.
- Investigates complaints and alleged violations.
- Travel to evaluate campgrounds and temporary or permanent food service establishments.
- Prepares letters, reports and correspondence pertaining to activities.
- Collects samples from surface water and drinking water sources for analysis as appropriate.
- Assists the public in the field, office, or by telephone with questions, comments, or complaints on related program matters.
- Accurate data entry in computer software products such as Microsoft Office, Hedgehog, Outlook, and similar products.
- Delivers services in a respectful and professional manner at all times, and demonstrates cultural competency.
- Registered as Environmental Health (EH) Sanitation in Michigan. (Level II) - preferred
- Commitment to become Registered EH Sanitarian within three (3) years (Level I) will be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in EH, Biology, Chemistry, Food Service, or related field and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Sufficient mobility to work both in office and on-site (field) settings.
- Excellent communication & organizational skills.
- Ability to provide services to vulnerable populations in a culturally competent and non-judgmental manner.
- Valid Michigan driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Salary: Level I-$23.31 per hour starting wage, increasing to $24.66 after successful completion of probationary period or Level II- $24.04 per hour starting wage, increasing to $25.34 after probation, in accordance with current Union contract plus full benefit package.
Submit resume and cover letter if interested to email@example.com . This posting will remain open until filled with preference given to those applications received by 8/4/23.
DHD No. 4
100 Woods Circle, Suite 200
Alpena, MI 49707
District Health Department No. 4 is an equal opportunity employer and will not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, gender, national origin, age, or marital status.